The Tibetan Institute of Performing Arts was initially established on the 11th August 1959 at Kalimpong, West Bengal. When the Tibetan Government in exile moved its headquarter from Mussoorie to Dharamsala in May 1960, the members of the institute were also relocated to Dharamsala.
With clear vision and sense of purpose, the institute strives to :
- preserve and promote age old Tibetan musical culture and associate arts.
- preserve and promote tradition of Ache Lhamo or Tibetan opera.
- inspire, educate and train younger Tibetan generation about musical heritage of Tibet.
- safeguard and archive Tibetan musical heritage for posterity.
- facilitate proper evolution and growth of Tibetan musical culture.